Chyba při vytváření náhledu: Chybějící soubor
15.04.1930 - 17.08.2001 (71 years)
- He started judo when he was 16.
- In 1951 he went to Japan to further his judo studies.
- As a Judo competitor he was a formidable opponent.
- He had a short, powerful build. He was difficult to shift off balance, and his speciality was a devastating inner thigh throw uchi mata.
- He retired from major competition in begining of '60 and concentrated on Judo and sports administration.
- At the 1965 IJF congress held in Rio de Janeiro he was elected President. He was the first non-Japanese to be the President of the IJF (1965-1979).
- He persuaded the IOC to give judo regular place on the Olympic Games program from 1972.
- He was a 10th dan holder (IJF).